My happy little ball of energy loves food, as long as it’s food that contains yogurt, bread or cheese. When he was a baby, I could shovel kale purees in his mouth with no problem. Now that he has an attitude and can communicate, he likes to signal ‘more, more more!’ for everything except vegetables. Today, he has managed to bypass every vegetable I’ve tried to put in his mouth. He’s napping now but I’m pretty sure he won’t be able to resist this doctored Applesauce when he wakes up.
Juice of one large lemon
4 apples, cored, peeled and cut into 1″ squares
2 cups washed spinach
1 cup water
1. Peel, core and cut the apples.
2. Double wash the spinach.
3. Add apples, lemon and water into a pan, turn heat onto medium, cover. Allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until apples are fully soggy and soft.
4. Transfer apples and water to a blender (I use a Vitamix and swear by it). Blend on low until apples are fully smooth.
5. Steam 2 cups of spinach until wilted.
6. Add wilted spinach to blender and blend on high until spinach is fully incorporated.
7. Allow to fully cool before storing in glass containers.
We’ve had a fun weekend – lots of play time, hiking, and very little sleeping. Jamisen only napped 1 hour yesterday (eek!) and slept fitfully last night. I’m hoping for at least another hour of nap time today, for his sake!
He’s getting better with spoon skills (and yes, that’s cottage cheese, one of the Jamisen-approved food groups). And yes, he gets up so early and eats breakfast so early that it’s (sob) still dark outside.
Jamisen is all boy in so many ways, including his complete disregard for the basic laws of gravity. He has taken his far share of spills but so far, it doesn’t seem to slow him down. I hope you’re having a great weekend – and if you have any secret ways to sneak greens into toddler food, I’d love to hear it. It looks like we’ll be going the sneaky way for the next few months until he outgrows this ‘I eat only white foods!’ phase.