The moringa tree is also known as the Miracle Tree and the Tree of Life. It’s considered a superfood because the leaves are packed with vitamins A, B, and C, manganese, and protein, and the seeds contain potassium, fiber, and magnesium. This DIY mask contains moringa seed oil and moringa leaf powder to create an incredibly skin-loving product.
This mask recipe was designed with combination skin in mind. The amount of kaolin clay creates a thick but spreadable texture. If you have dry skin, you can use less kaolin clay as shown in the DIY Lavender Clay Face Mask. If you have oily skin, increase the amount of clay as shown in the DIY Sea Clay Mask. Find all of our clay mask recipes below.
- DIY Rose Clay Face Mask
- DIY Sea Clay Face Mask
- DIY Turmeric Clay Face Mask
- DIY Lavender Clay Face Mask
This mask is lightly scented with the Spa Essential Oil Blend. It’s a complex blend of lavender fine essential oil, bergamot essential oil, rosemary essential oil, and more. If you have sensitive skin, you can omit the essential oil completely. Read more about recipe substitutions below.
A few notes about recipe substitutions and changes:
- Polawax Emulsifying Wax is a highly reliable and strong emulsifier. It could be substituted for the generic version, Emulsifying Wax, if you prefer, although this recipe was not tested with Emulsifying Wax. Due to the clay in the recipe, we splurged and used Polawax Emulsifying Wax to avoid any chance of separation.
- This recipe calls for avocado and moringa seed oil. Other oils can be used instead if you prefer; we recommend staying with liquid oils that absorb easily into the skin. Changing the total amount of oil in the recipe will change the overall texture of the mask.
- Because this recipe is essentially a lotion and contains a large amount of water, a preservative is necessary to prevent mold and bacterial growth. We chose Optiphen, but other water-soluble preservatives will work. Learn more about preservatives here.
- Increase the total amount of clay if you want it to be better suited for oily skin, or decrease the amount to make it better for dry skin. Decreasing the amount of clay may create a thinner product.
- If you prefer to use different clays, feel free to swap them. Clays have different absorbing properties, which will affect how it feels on the skin. Learn which clay is right for your skin.
- If you have very sensitive skin, fragrance and essential oils can be irritating. Omit from the recipe if you prefer.
- Green tea extract can be substituted with a different extract if you prefer. Find more extracts here.