Nail polish is an easy way to add color and personality to your look. Nail art has recently flourished, and there are now more nail polish options than ever before. While nail polish is fun, it can take a toll on your nails. This Nourishing Nail Polish Formula contains skin-loving argan oil to help care for your nails while adding color. Mixing the colorant in the oil before adding it to the Suspending Nail Polish Base also makes the blending process easier.
For this recipe, I use argan oil, but any lightweight liquid oil would work. Sweet almond oil, chia seed oil, green tea seed oil, avocado oil or hazelnut oil would all be great choices. While slightly more oil could be added to the mixture, adding too much can prevent the polish from drying. If you’d like to add more oil, make a small test batch first to make sure the polish dries and hardens. This technique also works with other colors. The Radiant Plum Colorant used in this tutorial gives a gorgeous vibrant purple hue.
Keep in mind that nail polish base is extremely flammable; do not make or store your polish near an open flame. Because nail polish can be hard to clean, you may want to cover your counter space with newspaper in case of a spill. If you prefer to mix the polish, oils and colorants in a separate container before pouring it into the bottle, use a nail polish-safe, disposable container.
FOUR: Place a brush into each bottle. Screw the cap onto each bottle; doing so will adhere the cap to the brush.
FIVE: Shake the bottles to thoroughly mix the nail polish base and colorant mixture. Once fully combined, the nail polish is ready to use!
- Six 15 mL Nail Polish Bottles
- 3 oz. Suspending Nail Polish Base
- Six Nail Polish Mixing Balls
- 1 tsp. Radiant Plum Colorant
- 1 tsp. Argan Oil
- Optional: Droppers
- In a small container, mix together the argan oil and Radiant Plum Colorant. Use a mini mixer if necessary to remove any clumps.
- Place a nail polish mixing ball into each nail polish bottle. Add 2.5 mL of the color mixture into each bottle.
- Slowly and carefully, pour the Nail Polish Base into each bottle. Fill each bottle to the neck.
- Place a brush into each bottle. Screw the cap onto each bottle; doing so will adhere the cap to the brush.
- Shake the bottles to thoroughly mix the nail polish base and colorant mixture. Once fully combined, the nail polish is ready to use!