In my excitement to get the tiered cupcake project started, I pulled out the flat sheet cake while it was soft and steaming. The directions said to wait at least 10 minutes. I probably waited 4. The cake broke, reducing the amount of space I could cut from. Obvious Lesson: Following directions, especially when printed on the back of a box, is good.
I started to cut little mini cupcakes from the sheet. Cutting circles was far too difficult so I took a short cut and just made little squares. With massive amounts of frosting on the squares, in theory, the squares should look somewhat cupcake round-like.
I was wrong. They look like squares covered in frosting. Also, raw pieces of cake are difficult to frost.
This is the photo of the cupcakes. They look sad, dismal and need serious professional help. Frosting cupcakes by hand is difficult work! I have a new appreciation for pastry chefs. I would have used the frosting kit from the bath cupcakes project (click here to see the project) but it has been heavily in use for soap projects and isn’t food-grade anymore. For a brief moment, I considered eating all 12 cupcakes to get rid of the evidence of failure. My husband pulled me back from the brink of utter sugar induced craziness and we set about problem-solving.