Happy Tuesday! It’s time again for another installment of our ever popular Talk it Out Tuesday series (check out our previous posts on lip balm, preservatives, bath bombs, melt and pour, lotion and colorants). I am super excited about this week’s topic because it is all about my latest crafty obsession…nail polish! Read on to find out more about how to customize your own nail polish and all the fun nail polish-themed products that Bramble Berry carries.
How do I customize my own nail polish?
1. Make sure you are working in a well ventilated area and away from any open flames. Nail polish is extremely flammable (extremely!). Carefully pour the nail polish base into the bottles. Fill it to the shoulder of the bottle (where it bends), or just below the shoulder if adding fragrance. Then, use Bramble Berry’s tiny funnels to add your choice of micas or glitters. NOTE: the funnels do not work to fill the actual polish; it’s too thick. This is a WYSIWYG process – what you see is what you get. Remember, you can always paint a little bit on a piece of paper to make sure you’re happy with the color – or add more later.
2. Once your mica or glitter has been added, place a couple of the nail polish mixing beads into the bottle, then slip in the brush and firmly twist the cap on. You should hear the brush click right into place.
3. Shake well and apply! It really is that easy and there are so many color mixing options.
Is it possible to add fragrance to my nail polish?
You don’t have to add a nail polish mixing ball, but we have found that it was the easiest way to make sure the nail polish base, colorants and fragrance blended properly together. We suggest adding in 1-3 mixing balls depending on your size bottle.
NOTE: If you’d rather mix your base and colorant outside of the glass nail polish bottles, I did find that the nail polish base will melt plastic. I like using a dedicated glass container for that purpose.
Oh no, my nail polish went all chunky, what did I do wrong?
While many of our colorants will work for nail polish, there are some that just clump up and won’t work. Bramble Berry micas and glitters are going to be your best choice in creating a fabulous and funky new color, customized just for you. Here are a list of our tested and true colorants:
Amethyst Purple Mica, Gold (light) Mica, Red Blue Mica , Antique Blue Mica, Heavy Metal Gold, Rose Pearl, Apricot Blush, Honeyed Beige, Shredded Glitter, Blue Cellini, Luster Black, Silver Glitter, Blue-Green Mica, Mauvey Gem, Silver Mica, Bronze, Merlot Sparkle, Soft Beige, Cappuccino, Opalescent Turquoise, Sparkle Gold, Cellini Red, Opalescent Bordeaux, Sparkle Violet, Copper Mica, Opalescent Green, Super Pearly White, Copper Sparkle Mica, Patina Sheen, Surplus Sienna Shimmer, Coral Mica, Peach Shimmer, Violaceous Violet and Fuchsia Glitter.
If you find another Bramble Berry colorant that works, let us know and we can add it to our list!
NOTE: When ordering the nail polish base, you must agree to the following (as it is considered hazardous):
- You fully understand that this material is considered hazardous and flammable
- You understand that it should not be used near an open flame or spark
- You will only use it in a well ventilated area area
- You assume all responsibility for its safe use and proper storage
- You are at least 18 years of age.
Have any other questions or what to share your experiences with nail polish? We’d love to hear them. Leave us a comment below!