Treat (don’t trick) your skin this chilly fall season with a handmade, moisturizing and delicious smelling soap with real pumpkin puree. Pumpkin is full of antioxidants and vitamins A and C which can help keep your skin youthful and refreshed!
16 oz. Coconut Oil
16 oz. Palm Oil
16 oz. Olive Oil
2 oz. Castor Oil
15 oz. water
7.4 oz. lye
3 oz. pumpkin puree
3 oz. Pumpkin Spice Fragrance Oil
Copper Sparkle Mica
Ladle or glass mug
3 large glass, plastic or stainless steal mixing bowls
(never use aluminum or a reactive material when mixing cold process soap)
Preparation: Make sure you have all of your ingredients with in reach (I even double checked our recipe on the iPhone Lye Application). Then line your mold with Freezer Paper (click here for instructions on lining your soap mold). Most importantly review lye safety guidelines.
Lye Safety Tips:
- Always wear gloves & goggles (glasses are not enough, goggles)
- Measure out distilled water & slowly pour and stir lye into water
- Do not breathe in lye fumes; work in a well ventilated room
- Keep small children and animals out and away from your soapmaking
- Protect your workspace with newspaper or cardboard
- Lye corrodes metal so remove jewelry before making soap
- Lye in the eyes = trip to emergency room
- Lye on your skin = flush with water (some soapmaker’s swear by vinegar instead of water).
- Soap utensils are for soap. Food utensils are for food. Never the twain should meet.
- Soap needs to cure, undisturbed, from either pets or small children
- Soap molds need to be either lined with wax paper or be made from a flexible plastic.
- Never make soap in a glass or aluminum mold.
ONE: Weigh and combine your Coconut Oil, Palm Oil, Olive Oil and Caster Oil. Make sure all of the oils are in liquid form so you might need to melt the coconut and palm oil in the microwave or on the stove.
SIX: To the second container, add 1 Tablespoon of Copper Sparkle mica and use a stick blender to mix well. This will make a beautifully dark and rich pumpkin color.
SEVEN: Once the Copper Sparkle mica is fully incorporated, stir in 3 oz of Pumpkin Spice Fragrance Oil by hand. This fragrance slightly accelerates trace so be ready to pour once your fragrance is mixed in.