My good friend and fellow Mastermind Business Group member, Lynn Giuliani, introduced our Mastermind Group to this concept two years ago. It has been a huge help for me in setting goals. I shared it at the Alabama Soapmakers Convention this year and based on the comments in my post yesterday, attendees liked it. I hope you will find it useful and take the time to fill out your balance wheel to help you set your goals and priorities for 2009.
The excercise is simple.
1. Draw a circle (or if you’re artistically challenged like me, trace a circle)
2. Divide your circle into 6 parts. Try to make them equal.
3. Label them: Financial, Physical, Social, Family, Mental and Spiritual
4. Take a few minutes to decide how you feel about each of these categories in your life. What is your level of satisfaction in each of these areas? Only you can determine what your level of satisfaction is. Your idea of how successful or happy you are will not be the same as your sister’s, neighbor’s or brother’s. That’s okay. This is an exercise just for you and you don’t need to share it with anyone. Shade in your piece of the pie to your level of satisfaction.
5. Cut out your wheel. Does it roll? If it doesn’t roll, think of the area that your wheel is flat in. Is this an area you’d like to see improvement in? Make some goals around it.
Tomorrow, I’ll write about goal setting and putting your goals into action by creating a vision board.