Homemade potpourri is such an easy and fun project. I love having sachets for my clothing drawers. They make my clothes smell fresh and clean. Making your own potpourri also means that you can customize your blend with any fragrance or essential oil you prefer. I love the classic scent of lavender.
For these Potpourri Squares, I filled organza bags with a mixture of salts and botanicals scented with Lavender 40/42 Essential Oil. Then, I sewed the bags to create a cute square shape. This step is optional; you can always just pull the ties on the bags to seal them but I like the extra security sewing provides; no spills! This recipe makes about 6-10 bags, but it will vary based on how full the bags are and if you choose to seal them.
What You’ll Need:
½ cup Pink Sea Salt, Medium
¼ cup Medium Grain Dead Sea Salt
1/8 cup Rose Petals
¼ cup Lavender Buds
2 Tbs. Calendula, dried
2 Tbs. Cedarwood Chips
3-5 mL Lavender 40/42 Essential Oil
6-10 Small Organza Bags, any color (blue, pink, lavender, white)
Tools: Scissors, Sewing machine (or a needle and thread)
Click here to add everything you need for this project to your Bramble Berry shopping cart!
ONE: Add the pink sea salt, Dead Sea salt, rose petals, lavender buds, calendula petals and cedarwood chips into a mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
FIVE: Time to get sewing! Sew the opening of the bag closed. Once thoroughly closed, cut off any thread.
SIX: If you’d like, cut off the top of the bag for a cleaner look. Throw the potpourri in a clothing drawer or small space to fill the area with scent. Enjoy!
I gave these little guys away with beautiful rock formations to set on top of them (the salt and herb bags acted like a stand for the crystals) to my Mastermind business group for Christmas. They turned out perfectly. =)
What is your favorite way to give laundry or other small spaces a soft scent?
- ½ cup Pink Sea Salt, Medium
- ¼ cup Medium Grain Dead Sea Salt
- ⅛ cup Rose Petals
- ¼ cup Lavender Buds
- 2 Tbs. Calendula, dried
- 2 Tbs. Cedarwood Chips
- Lavender 40/42 Essential Oil
- Large Organza Bags, any color (blue, pink, lavender, white)
- Optional: Sewing machine (or a needle and thread)
- Add the pink sea salt, Dead Sea salt, rose petals, lavender buds, calendula petals and cedarwood chips into a mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add the Lavender 40/42 Essential Oil and stir to thoroughly blend in the essential oil throughout the mixture.
- Cut the strings of the bag, and remove the string.
- Fill the organza bags with the potpourri mixture. The bag should be full, but still able to close below the seams comfortably.
- Time to get sewing! Sew the opening of the bag closed. Once thoroughly closed, cut off the strings.
- If you’d like, cut off the top of the bag for a cleaner look.